Tuesday 9 March 2021

My reflections on Stanley Tucci's 'Searching for Italy'

Last night, we've enjoyed watching Stanley Tucci's 'Searching for Italy'. So far, we could only watch the first 'Naples' episode as the others apparently are not released in Italy yet. However, I think the show is clever and fun, it's never stereotypical and it shows you an 'off the beaten track' side of Italy and its food and culture.

Tucci really takes you through the backstreets of Italy and his show is miles away from the usual 'postcard' approach to my home country. He talks to real people with a passion for cooking and to those producing the best ingredients for their regional cuisine. Simplicity of the Italian dishes and the importance of the quality (rather than the quantity) of ingredients is well demonstrated, a main aspect of Italian cuisine I also like to highlight in my Italian Cooking Classes. 'Searching for Italy' really shows you the true diversity of the Italian regions and their traditions: this was a pleasant surprise for me.

Tucci speaks good Italian and I was very impressed by the way he interacts and engages with the locals in their own language. As an 8th generation Roman, I am really looking forward to seeing the Rome episode!

- Guido



No comments: