Thursday 4 October 2007

Early vintage



As I take a walk around our village Toffia, there is a distinctive smell coming from the palazzo's basements: it's the smell of must.
Generally, vintage time is frantic. Little 3 wheel 'Ape' open vans zip around the country at frightening speed with their precious load of grapes. Everyone is working over the same weekend, and watching all this happening at the nearby Monastery of Farfa is spectacular. The monastery has a small and very ancient vineyard. If you have seen Jamie Oliver's 'Great Escape', you would have see the Farfa monastery featured in episode #3. Vintage has been a little early this year, due the warm winter and long, sunny summer. It will be interesting to taste the result of it in a glass. Some of the new wine is due out in November and sold as 'vino novello'. I know this is not for the purists, but a glass of it won't hurt anyone!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Guido! What a FAB blog! I will add it to my favourites on my own blog. Also, I will enjoy reading about your Italian life - it will make me feel like I'm on holidays! :o) I hope that Steve and I will be able to visit you some time very soon.

Guido said...

Thank you, Jen. Come back for a virtual or real holiday soon!